Programmable RGB pseudo nixie tube clock
Support Raspberry Pi Pico or Zero.
Do you know the old glory of the last century: the nixie tube?
Worried about the shutdown and short service life of the nixie tube?
This is an LCD pseudo nixie tube clock that can help you recall this punk style.
|Product size||200mm × 80mm × 34mm|
|LCD screen||1.14", 135 × 240 pixels|
|Support master control||Raspberry Pi Pico and Raspberry Pi Zero / Zero 2 W with pin header (not included)|
How To Assemble
Note: please download the code to the host control first, and test it before assembling!
Step 1: Insert the host control (Raspberry Pi ZERO, pico, esp32-s2-pico) into the back of the "1" board. The pico and esp32-s2-picode USB ports are facing outwards without screws. Raspberry Pi needs (2x copper posts + 4 silver-white screws) to fix the 2 holes on the non-interface side;
Step 2: On 1 to 2, you need to pay attention to 1. You must put the 4 buttons on the side before you can put them in. Then use the patterned copper column, first lightly lock the diagonal alignment holes, and then lock the rest , and then all tightened (4 single-headed copper posts);
Step 3: Install 3 on 2, use black screws, in the same way, first lightly lock the diagonal alignment holes, then lock the rest, and then tighten them all (4 black);
Step 4: Insert the LCD into the 1 board, the side with the buttons is the back of the LCD, then put the glass cover, and lock it with silver-white screws (6*2 silver-white);
Step 5: Cover 4 on top of 2, use black screws to lock the diagonally aligned holes first, then lock the rest, and then tighten them all (4 black).
Working With Raspberry Pi Zero
Please test the code first before assembling.
#python2 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install python-pip sudo apt-get install python-pil sudo apt-get install python-numpy sudo pip install spidev sudo pip install rpi_ws281x #python3 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install python3-pip sudo apt-get install python3-pil sudo apt-get install python3-numpy sudo pip3 install spidev sudo pip3 install rpi_ws281x
Download & Test The Demo
Open the terminal of Raspberry Pi, run the following demo:
sudo apt-get install unzip -y sudo wget https://www.waveshare.com/w/upload/a/ae/LCD-Clock-A-Code.zip sudo unzip ./LCD-Clock-A-Code.zip -d ./LCD-Clock-A-Code/ cd LCD-Clock-A-Code/rpi/
Run The Program
Please keep it in the directory of the previous step. In order to display the time normally, please follow the steps below:
- For the first configuration, the default time of the program is the system time written into the RTC, so write the time for the first time. If the time is not correct, the system can be adjusted to the correct time or adjusted through the menu during runtime.
ls -l sudo python main.py
- Open main.py and comment the forty-second line of code:
sudo nano +42 main.py
Then enter # to comment, press ctrl+x and then press Y, and press Enter to comment.
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
Add the following before exit 0:
sudo python /home/pi/LCD-Clock-A-Code/rpi/main.py &
- menupic/: menu picture directory, built-in 2 sets of menu operation interface pictures with white background and black background;
- numpic/: digital picture directory, built-in 4 sets of digital pictures, used to display the time;
- main.py: main program;
- BME280.py: temperature, humidity, and pressure sensor driver;
- DS3231.py: RTC driver;
- Font.ttc: font file, used to display temperature and humidity;
- GPIOCFG.py: button, buzzer driver;
- __pycache__: The cache directory generated by Python3, is meaningless;
- ST7789V.py: drivers for 6 LCDs;
- WS2812.py: RGB lamp driver;
Customize Dial Plate
If you need to customize the dial plate, please open main.py:
sudo nano +18 main.py
This is the directory of digital picture files. You can change the letters after /numpic/ to four types: A, B, C, D. If you have any custom ones, please create a new directory E or other under /numpic/, code This is also changed to relevant;
Similarly, the custom menu is the same, change the code line 19.
Pico Quick Start
- MicroPython Firmware Download
- C_Blink Firmware Download
If you require technical support, please go to the Support page and open a ticket.