5inch HDMI LCD (H)
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Features
- 3 Working with PC
- 4 Touch Settings on Win 10 PC
- 5 Working with Raspberry Pi
- 6 Rotation(Working with Raspberry Pi)
- 7 Key Introduction
- 8 Resource
- 9 FAQ
- 10 Anti-Piracy
- 11 Beware of knock-offs
- 12 Support
5-inch Capacitive Touch Screen LCD, with a resolution of 800×480 and a capacitive touch panel, which supports Raspberry Pi and can also be used as a computer monitor.
- 800x480 hardware resolution, configurable by software. (up to 1920x1080)
- Used with Raspberry Pi, supports Raspbian, Ubuntu, WIN 10 IoT, single touch, and driver free.
- Multi-languages OSD menu, for power management, brightness/contrast adjustment, etc.
- It has a 3.5mm audio jack and supports HDMI audio output.
- Supports VGA input (specific cable is required and should be purchase separately)
Working with PC
This product supports Windows 10/8.1/8/7 OS. For the Windows 10/8.1/8 OS, the touch screen supports multi-touch up to 5 points. For some Windows 7 OS, the touch screen supports single touch only.
- 1. Connect the TOUCH interface of LCD to the USB interface of PC. Wait for a while, the windows will automatically recognize the touch function.
- 2. If you use HDMI, you need to connect the HDMI interface of LCD to the HDMI port of PC. About 10s later, you can see the LCD display properly. If you need the audio, you can insert a 3.5mm earphones to HP ports, or connect to the related speaker module through the speaker interface (such as 8 ohms 5-watt speaker).
- 3. If you use VGA, you need to connect the VGA interface of LCD to PC's VGA ports by Mini HDMI to VGA Cable.
- 1) When the computer is connected to several different displays at the same time, only this LCD can be used to control the cursor on the main display, so we recommended to set this LCD as the main display.
- 2) Some of PC cannot support HDMI screen Hot Plug. In this case, restart the PC can solve.
- 3) Sometimes LCD will flicker because of undersupplying from USB cable of PC. You need to connect an external power supply (5V/2A) to DC port.
- 4) HP audio output only works while using HDMI communication.
- 5) Mini HDMI to VGA Cable is necessary and need to be purchased separately if you use VGA communication.
Touch Settings on Win 10 PC
Some users want to connect more than one display to their PC. Here we talk about how to setting the touch to make the touchscreen control its screen separately.
- Connect touchscreen to PC. Here we use a standard PC monitor and connect a 7inch HDMI LCD (C) for example. We make the monitor as the main screen and the touchscreen as a secondary screen.
- By default, The touchscreen can only control the cursor on the main screen. Here we set it to control the secondary screen.
- Open Control Panel and search Tablet PC setting on the control panel and open the tool.
- Click button "Setup..." to set the touchscreen
- After clicking the setup you can find that it is prompt on your first screen with white color background and other screens are white.
- If we want the touch of the touchscreen to control the desktop of the touchscreen itself. Just press Enter key to pass the first screen. And the second screen, when you find that the black text is displayed on the touchscreen, just touch the center of the touchscreen to finish this setting.
- After this setting, the touch on the screen will just control this touchscreen even though it is not the main screen.
1 If the first screen and the second screen are touchscreens as well, you can touch them when the text is displayed on the screens. Then you can find that all the touchscreen can work.
2 This method is just tested on win 10 PC.
Working with Raspberry Pi
This LCD can support Raspbian / Ubuntu / Kali / Retropie and WIN10 IoT systems. When the LCD works on systems such as Raspberry Pi, the resolution must be set manually, otherwise, it will cause abnormal display. There is no such problem when the LCD works on the PC version of Windows.
Please download the latest version of the image on the Raspberry Pi official website.
1) Download the compressed file to the PC, and unzip it to get the .img file.
2) Connect the TF card to the PC, use SDFormatter.exe software to format the TF card.
3) Open the Win32DiskImager.exe software, select the system image downloaded in step 1, and click‘Write’ to write the system image.
4) After the image has finished writing, open the config.txt file in the root directory of the TF card, add the following code at the end of config.txt, then save and quit the TF card safely.
max_usb_current=1 hdmi_group=2 hdmi_mode=87 hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
You must make sure that there are no spaces on either side of the equal sign.
5) Insert the TF card into the Raspberry Pi
6) Connect the Touch interface of the LCD to the USB interface of the Raspberry Pi.
7) Connect the HDMI interface of the LCD to the HDMI interface of the Raspberry Pi, power on the Raspberry Pi, and wait for a few seconds until the LCD displays normally.
- Resolution of Ubuntu Mate OS or Windows 10 IoT Core OS can also be set properly by editing config.txt.
- For Pi Zero / Zero W: if you've used an SD card on a Pi 3 and then attached the card to the Pi Zero, the touch screen often doesn't work. In such cases, you have to write a fresh system image to the SD card. The first boot up must be done on the Pi Zero but not Pi 3, due to initialization for a corresponding device.
Rotation(Working with Raspberry Pi)
Add this statement in the config.txt file (the config file is located in the root directory of the TF card, which is named /boot):
display_rotate=1 #1：90；2: 180； 3: 270
Note: For Raspberry Pi 4, you need to comment out dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-V3D.
And then restart the Raspberry Pi after saving.
After the display is rotated, the position of touch is incorrect because the touch doesn’t change with the display angle. So the touch also needs to be modified.
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-libinput
If the system you installed is Ubuntu or Jetson Nano. The installation code is:
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
2.Create the xorg.conf.d directory under /etc/X11/ (if the directory already exists, proceed directly to step 3).
sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
3.Copy the 40-libinput-conf file to the directory you created just now.
sudo cp /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
4.Edit this file.
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
Find the part of the touchscreen, add the following statement inside, and then save the file.
Option "CalibrationMatrix" "0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1"
Similar to the picture below:
After completing these steps. The LCD could rotate 90 degrees both display and touch function.
90 degree: Option "CalibrationMatrix" "0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1"
180 degree: Option "CalibrationMatrix" "-1 0 1 0 -1 1 0 0 1"
270 degree: Option "CalibrationMatrix" "0 -1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1"
Demo video about rotating
- Power: Open or Close LCD display
- Menu: Open OSD menu (It can also work as OK after entering the menu )
- Up/Left: Direction button
- Down/Right: Direction button
- Exit: it can also work as Return after entering the menu
You can use the "Power" button to close the LCD display for reducing consumption if it will be idle for a long time.
Open OSD menu by press button Menu, use "OK button" and "Direction button" to change the configuration, and then use "Return button" to exit.
Note: We don't recommend you to do any hardware modification, which may damage LCD if you are not good at it. So be careful when you following this manual
Since the first-generation Raspberry Pi released, Waveshare has been working on designing, developing, and producing various fantastic touch LCDs for the Pi. Unfortunately, there are quite a few pirated/knock-off products in the market. They're usually some poor copies of our early hardware revisions, and comes with none support service.
To avoid becoming a victim of pirated products, please pay attention to the following features when purchasing:
Beware of knock-offs
Please note that we've found some poor copies of this item in the market. They are usually made of inferior materials and shipped without any testing.
You might be wondering if the one you're watching or you've purchased in other non-official stores is original, feel free to contact us.
Please contact us by Email/Skype/WeChat for technology support. Our response may be delay, you can just leave your questions, we will reply to you as soon as possible in working time.
|09:00 - 18:00 (UTC+8 Monday to Staturday)|