SIM8200EA-M2 5G HAT
SIM8202G-M2：4x antennas, size:30×42mm,
compatible hardware interface, identical software function.
SIM8200EA-M2 5G HAT With Antennas, 5G/4G/3G Support, Snapdragon X55 Onboard, Multi Mode Multi Band, Applicable For China, Europe, The Middle East, South America, Etc.
Working with Windows PC
Downlaod the SIM8200 Driver from Resources part to your PC and unzip it.
Enter the SIM8200_OS_Driver\Windows directory
Enter the 1_install directory and run the setup.exe file to install.
After connecting, a mobile network icon appears, you can disconnect other network and test the mobile network.
Install driver manually
For some of PC, you need to add driver manullay. If your PC doesn't recognized any COM ports in Device Manger, find unkown devices and upate the driver manually:
d Power on the 5G module and set the Switch into ON. four(it may be more than four) unkow devices are recognized by Windows PC.
Right-click the device , update the driver manually, choose SIM8200_OS_Driver\Windows, and then choose thd driver according to the version of your OS. You need to update for all the four/five/six devices.:
Four COM ports: AT is used for AT command controlling, Audio is used for dailing Diagnostics is used for debuggging, and NMEA is used for GPS.；
A mobile network will be setup automatically after updating, you can disconnect other network and test it.
Manual NDIS dial-up Internet
After installing the driver, some computers cannot automatically dial up to access the Internet, so you need to dial manually, the operation is as follows：
Connect the passive GPS antenna to the ANT5 of the module, and place the antenna outdoors facing the sky.Then send the AT command to turn on the GPS:
Working with Raspberry
Please download the newest Raspberry Pi OS2020-08-20-raspios-buster-armhf, All the settings are based on Kernel 5.4, if you use old version, plase udpate first.
This configuration is only needed at the first time.
Open a terminal and run the following commands:
sudo apt-get install p7zip-full wget https://www.waveshare.com/w/upload/f/fb/SIM8200-M2_5G_HAT_code.7z 7z x SIM8200-M2_5G_HAT_code.7z sudo chmod 777 -R SIM8200-M2_5G_HAT_code cd SIM8200-M2_5G_HAT_code sudo ./install.sh
Please do not modify option, qmi_wwan_simcom, default.script,install.sh files or directorys, otherwise the dirver cannot be installed normally.
If you get error information, please check ifyou use the 2020-08-20-raspios-buster-armhf OS and take screenshot of error information and contact our support team for help.
Testing with AT command
sudo apt-get install minicom sudo minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB2
cd Goonline make sudo ./simcom-cm
If you want to set the codes auto-run after booting, you can modify rc.local file:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
Add the line to file as below:
sudo /home/pi/SIM8200-M2_5G_HAT_code/Goonline/simcom-cm &
Note that you have to add "&" to the end of the command, make sure that the command can be run in the background, or the Pi may not boot normally.。
The use of OpenWrt
Introduction to OpenWrt
Soft routing is using desktops or servers and other equipment with software. It mainly depends on the settings of the software to achieve the functions of the router. The hard routing is a unique hardware device, including a processor, power supply, and embedded software to provide router functionality.
OpenWrt is a very popular soft routing system. It is a highly modular and highly automated embedded Linux system with powerful network components and scalability. It is often used in industrial control equipment, routers, and other equipment.
In addition to the functions of general home routers, OpenWrt soft routing can also achieve port forwarding, intranet penetration, 4G networking, FTP server and more powerful functions.
Burn the image
Download the RPI OpenWrt system, unzip the system in the Imgs directory, and use the burning tool to burn the system to the SD card.
Login and initial settings
- After the OpenWrt system is turned on, and the Raspberry Pi is equivalent to a router. Therefore, use a network cable to connect the Raspberry Pi to the computer according to the use of the router (you can also use the mobile phone to search for WIFI, the default name is "OpenWrt").
- You can set the language to auto frist.
- Enter 192.168.1.1 on the web page, the default user name: root, and the default password: password, enter the OpenWrt web management interface
- Set WIFI password: Network —> Wireless —> interface configuration —> Wireless security
- Create the new interface: Network -> Interface -> Create interface
- Modify the IPv4 address of the lan port to a different IP that is not the same as the lan port IP of other routers in your home. (Many routers default the lan port IP to 192.168.1.1. If you do not modify the IP of the OpenWrt, it will easily lead to conflicts and fail to connect to the Internet)
If necessary, it is also recommended to disable the IPv6 allocation length. After the modification is completed, click "Save & Apply", and re-use 192.168.10.1 to access the OpenWrt console.
- In addition, it is recommended to adjust the Firewall setting to connect the OpenWrt terminal and Web management interface through the local area.
Network —>Firewall, change all "reject" to "accept", click "Save & Apply" after modification, as shown in the picture below:
- And then select System -> Administration, modify the allowed interface for SSH access to "unspecified" (that is, any interface can be accessed by ssh), check the Gateway port, and click "Save & Apply" after the modification is completed.
At this point, you can connect to the OpenWrt web management interface or terminal through the IP address of the lan port or wan port.
Check the working status of the drive
Connect to the OpenWrt terminal via SSH, and run the following commands to view the qmi driver, USB device, network port registration, and network port status:
dmesg | grep qmi dmesg | grep ttyUSB ls /dev | grep cdc-wdm ifconfig wwan0
- Select System -> FileTransfer, select and upload simcom-cm in the simcom-cm directory of the folder:
Use the above "File Transfer" to upload, the uploaded program is located in "simcom-cm" under the /tmp/upload/ directory.
Enter the following commands in the terminal:
cp /tmp/upload/simcom-cm / chmod a+x simcom-cm ./simcom-cm
【Note】: Closing this terminal will cause the networking program to stop, which will cause the network to be disconnected. It is recommended to run in the background.
- At this time, open a new terminal of OpenWrt and enter the command: ifconfig wwan0. You can see that the wwan0 network port has successfully obtained the operator IP and can ping the external network.
- Enter the Web management interface of OpenWrt, click Network —>Interface —>Create a new interface
- Enter the interface as shown in the picture below and confirm that the interface selection in "Physical Settings" is "wwan0".
- Confirm that the interface selection in "Firewall Settings" is "wan"
- Click "Save & Apply" to complete the network port settings, then return to the interface below, network-interface, you can see that the network port has been correctly identified.
Then the other devices can be connected to the OpenWrt wireless "OpenWrt" or through the network cable to connect to OpenWrt's own network port for networking.
5G network speed test
In the speed measurement part, because the Raspberry Pi comes with a Gigabit Ethernet port, and there are few USB network cards above Gigabit, we use the SpeedTest For Python tool to perform speed measurement by the commands. Connect to the terminal of OpenWrt and enter the commands one by one to measure the speed:
opkg update opkg install python3 opkg install python3-pip pip install speedtest_cli speedtest // or use speedtest_cli
- SIm8200 Series AT Command Manual
- SIM8200EA-M2 Hardware Design Manual
- SIMcom SIM8200EA-M2 resources
- SIMcom SIM8202G-M2 resources
- SIM820X RNDIS Dial-Up
Related application cases
If you require technical support, please go to the Support page and open a tickets.