5.5inch HDMI AMOLED
The glass panel of AMOLED is fragile without enclosure, please take care of it when using. You need to hold the PCBA when plugging the HDMI cable and USB cable to protect the glass panel from hard pressure.
【Note】: The screws used for hole 5 is M2.5*4. And the screws you are using cannot be longer than 4mm, otherwise, it will damage the AMOLED panle.
- 5.5inch AMOLED, 1080x1920 resolution.
- 5-point capacitive touch control with tempered glass panel, hardware up to 6H
- When works with Raspberry Pi, supports Raspberry Pi OS/Ubuntu/Kali/Retropie.
- When works as a computer monitor, supports Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7.
- 3.5mm audio jack, supports HDMI audio output.
Working with Windows PC
When working with PC, 5.5inch HDMI AMOLED can support Windows 7/ 8/ 8.1 /10 /11.
1. Connect the TOUCH interface of LCD to the USB interface of PC. Wait for a while, the windows will automatically recognize the touch function.
2. If you use HDMI, you need to connect the HDMI interface of LCD to the HDMI port of PC. About 10s later, you can see the LCD display properly. If you need to output sound, you can insert a 3.5mm earphones to HP ports.
1) When the computer is connected to multiple monitors at the same time, the touch effect of the 5.5inch AMOLED will be applied to the main screen by default. If you need to specify the touch to the secondary screen, see #Calibration touch on Win 10 PC
2) Sometimes, USB ports of PC have not enough power to power 5.5inch HDMI AMOLED, in this case, you can connect external 5V/2A power adapter to DC interface of 5.5inch HDMI AMOLED.
3)This product is portrait mode by defaults, and the resolution (H×V) is 1080×1920. You can enter the display settings of the windows system and rotate it to landscape display.
Calibration touch on Win 10 PC
Take the windows10 system as an example:
- 1. Enter the Windows settings of the system, type in the search bar and click "Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input" (as shown in the picture below)
- 2. Click "Setup" in the pop-up "Tablet PC Settings" interface:
- 3. The following text prompt will appear on the screen. Please tap the touch screen with your finger, and the computer will recognize it as a touch screen.
【Note】If the touch screen is blank, press the "Enter" key, and the text prompt will switch to the touch screen. (The screen which displays the text prompt will be used as a touch screen!)
Working with Raspberry Pi
When working with Raspberry Pi, 5.5inch HDMI AMOLED can support various systems like Raspberry Pi OS/Ubuntu Mate/Kail/Retropie. Herein we take Raspbain as an example.
When AMOLED works on systems such as Raspberry Pi OS, the resolution must be manually set, otherwise it will cause abnormal display.
Please download the latest version of the image on the Raspberry Pi official website.
1) Download the compressed file to the PC, and unzip it to get the .img file.
2) Connect the TF card to the PC, use SDFormatter software to format the TF card.
3) Open the Win32DiskImager software, select the system image downloaded in step 1, and click ‘Write’ to write the system image.
4) After the image has finished writing, open the config.txt file in the root directory of the TF card. Add the following code at the end of config.txt, then save and quit the TF card safely.
max_framebuffer_height=1920 config_hdmi_boost=10 hdmi_group=2 hdmi_force_hotplug=1 hdmi_mode=87 hdmi_timings=1080 1 26 4 50 1920 1 8 2 6 0 0 0 60 0 135580000 3
5) Save and eject the SD card. Plug the card to your Raspberry Pi
6) Connect Touch interface of LCD to one USB port of Raspberry Pi
7) Connect HDMI interface of LCD to HDMI interface of Raspberry Pi
8) Power on Raspberry Pi, and wait for a few seconds until the LCD displays normally.
【Note】The LCD is vertically displayed by default. You can refer to #Orientation Setting to change the orientation.
Update the system
Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye branch needs to update the software version, other systems can omit this step.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get full-upgrade
Raspberry Pi OS and Kali display rotation
First check whether the KMS or FKMS driver is loaded on the system you are using.
Check method: In /boot/config.txt, check whether the line dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d or dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d is turned on.
- If KMS or FKMS driver is turned on:
Use the following command for display rotation:
sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart #Add the command corresponding to the display rotation angle at the end of the autostart file, and it will take effect after rebooting the system. #0: rotate 0 degrees; 1: rotate 270 degrees; 2: rotate 180 degrees; 3: rotate 90 degrees xrandr -o 1
- If KMS or FKMS driver is not turned on:
Use the following command for display rotation:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt #Add the command corresponding to the display rotation angle at the end of the autostart file, and it will take effect after rebooting the system. #0: rotate 0 degrees; 1: rotate 90 degrees; 2: rotate 180 degrees; 3: rotate 270 degrees display_rotate=3
With the operation above. The screen could rotate in display. However, the touch works improperly. To rotate the touch as display, you could do as below:
- Hardware Rotate Touch: Press and hold the Touch Rotate button on the bottom panel, and each long press will rotate the touch direction by 90 degrees.
- If there are special circumstances that cannot be rotated by hardware, please refer to the following steps to rotate the touch:
1. install libinput
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-libinput
If the system you installed is Ubuntu or Jetson Nano. The installation code is:
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
2. Create the xorg.conf.d directory under /etc/X11/ (if the directory already exists, proceed directly to step 3).
sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
3.Copy the 40-libinput-conf file to the directory you created just now.
sudo cp /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
4.Edit this file.
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
Find the part of the touchscreen, add the following statement inside, and then save the file.
Option "CalibrationMatrix" "0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1"
Similar to the picture below:
After completing these steps. The LCD could rotate 90 degrees both display and touch.
90 degree: Option "CalibrationMatrix" "0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1"
180 degree: Option "CalibrationMatrix" "-1 0 1 0 -1 1 0 0 1"
270 degree: Option "CalibrationMatrix" "0 -1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1"
AMOLED screen has many advantages like high contrast, wide color range, wide view angle, and so on. However, it is easy to face a burn-in problem if displaying the same content for a long time. As we test, the AMOLED cannot be restored if it displays the same static image for more than 168 hours because of burn-in problem. In this case, we recommend you set a screen saver and do not let the AMOLED display the same static image for a long time （cannot longer than 1h）.
You can install screen saver with the command below:
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver
Some advanced uses of Pi4
If you want to make some advanced display applications on Pi4, in these applications, the dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d function in config.txt must be opened. The following section describes how to open dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d and rotate the display in Pi4.
1. Open the config.txt file in the root directory of the TF card, add the following code at the end of config.txt, and comment out dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-V3D, save and quit the TF card safely, insert the TF card into the Raspberry Pi, and start the system.
max_framebuffer_height=1920 max_usb_current=1 config_hdmi_boost=10 hdmi_group=2 hdmi_force_hotplug=1 hdmi_mode=87 hdmi_timings=1080 1 26 4 50 1920 1 8 2 6 0 0 0 60 0 135580000 3
2.Edit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf and comment out Driver "fbturbo", as shown below:
sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf
3.Open config.txt file
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Turn on dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-V3D and reboot the system.(uncomment the line dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-V3D)
Note: In config.txt, the display_rotate function cannot be turned on.
4.Open Screen Configuration.
5.Set the rotation as shown below.
6. And then after rotating touch, the LCD can be used normally.
Note: When rotating the display in this way, there will be a few seconds to display the vertical screen when booting up the system. After entering the system, it will display on the horizontal screen.
- OS: Android 6.0
- Protocol: Adjust output from 1920 1080 to 1080 1920
- Require: It requires that users are able to compile the kernel and have knowledge about Android.
- Step 1: Open files as below (sources codes of the kernel)
- Step 2: find the codes as below, modify it to 1080 1920
- Step 3: Re-compile kernel and replace.
Because Android OS are different in different platform, you need to porting yourself for a certain platform, guides above is just provided for reference.
- Make sure that the HDMI interface of the PC can output normally.
- The PC only connects to this LCD as a monitor without others.
- You should connect the touch cable first and then the HDMI cable.
- Some PC need to be restarted to make the 5.5inch HDMI AMOLED display normally.
With 5V power input, the working current is 650mA when displaying all white, 250mA when displaying all black.
The thickness of AMOLED and PCB is about 4.8mm, and it is 11mm with HDMI connector.
The Max luminance is about 500LUX.
Since the first-generation Raspberry Pi released, Waveshare has been working on designing, developing, and producing various fantastic touch LCDs for the Pi. Unfortunately, there are quite a few pirated/knock-off products in the market. They're usually some poor copies of our early hardware revisions, and comes with none support service.
To avoid becoming a victim of pirated products, please pay attention to the following features when purchasing:
Beware of knock-offs
Please note that we've found some poor copies of this item in the market. They are usually made of inferior materials and shipped without any testing.
You might be wondering if the one you're watching or you've purchased in other non-official stores is original, feel free to contact us.