4.2inch e-Paper Cloud Module
You can connect to the device via wifi with port number 6868, and update the display with commands.
You can configure the devices via wifi or Bluetooth, if you are the first time configure the device, only the Bluetooth is available.
The firmware of the 4,2inch cannot be reprogrammed by used because the flash is locked.
You need to wakeup the device by button
- Suitable as equipment labels, shelf labels, information storage, etc.
- Integrates SW6106 chip, supports multiple quick charge protocols including PD / QC / FCP / PE / SFCP, etc.
- Allows the user to control the display content via a remote server, convenient and flexible
- The voltage detection circuit can detect the battery circuit to avoid over discharge.
- ID support, make it easy to centrally manage and track the modules
- Provides Android APP for configuring and managing the modules
- No backlight, keeps displaying last content for a long time even when power down
- Long battery life, basically power consumption is only required for refreshing
- Provide complete supporting information manual
- Power supply：Battery
- Resolution：400 x 300
- Pixel pitch：0.212 × 0.212
- Display color：Black, White
- Refresh time：4s
- Viewing Angle：>170°
- Outline Dimensions：96.5mm × 85mm
- Display Size：84.8mm × 63.6mm
- Maximum refresh times (battery capacity: 1000mah): 1500+
Every time the device start, it will do partial refresh and display status icons.
Hereby provide the refrence of icons.
- Waiting: The device is waiting for commands.
- Setting: Setting is finished.
- Low Voltage: The voltage of battareis is lower than warnning value.
- WIFI: The wifi is connected.
- Host: The devices is connected to target host by IP address.
- Generally, you should press the button to wake up the device and check the icons. The warnning voltage is 3600mv, once the voltage is 150mv lower than warnning voltage (3450mv), the devices will shutdown automatically to protect the stable of the whole system.
If you didn't configure the device before, you should configure the device by APP after pressing the Wakeup button to update the display①. Please refer to #1.4 Configure Device by APP to configure the device.②
①If the device isn't configured, Waiting icon is displaed in the top-right area. If the Low Voltage icon is displayed without Waiting, it means that the batteris is less than 3450mv and it is going to shutdown.
②If the device doesn't connect to Bluetooth, it will shutdown after 90s after booting and refreshing the display.
If the device was configured, the device will update and display Setted icon in the top-right area① after pressing wakeup button. The Bluetooth is disabled by default, if required, you should hold the wakeup button for 5s at least to enable the Bluetooth②. The updating process of device will not be interrupted③ while enabling the Bluetooth. After enabling the Bluetooth, you can re-configure the device by referring to #1.4 Configure Device by APP ④.
①The update time of the device is determined by the speed of WIFI, It should less than 30s as we test.。
②You can hold the wake-up button until your phone scan the device via Bluetooth. Otherwise, the device auto-shutdown if the Bluetooth is disconnected.。
③If you enable the Bluetooth of the device, it will try to connect to master (phone) in 30s if the shutdown command is received via wifi. If the device is connected to the phone by Bluetooth, it will keep waking, otherwise, it will be turned off after 30s.
④You should reboot the device after configuration to make the configuration effect. Please do not reboot the device when transmitting data via WIFI, it will cost data loss.
- Device_Password, you should input the device password to vertify if the device is locked.
Note: The default device password of the Raspberry Pi example is 123456. If you lock the device you have to unlock it with password 123456, otherwise, the device cannot work.
Warning_voltage: If the voltage of batteries is less than the warning voltage, the device will display the warning icon. If the battery is 150mV lower than the warning voltage, the device will shutdown automatically.
Configure Device by APP
- Ⅰ. Open APP（APP will auto-save the last configuration information）
- Ⅱ. Click the Bluetooth CONNECTION button, the default Bluetooth device is WaveShare_EPD or the Device ID configured.
- Ⅲ. Choose the device, for example, connect the WaveShare_EPD. If you are the first time to connect the WaveShare_EPD device, it should be paired first.
- Ⅳ. Modify the configuration information and Upload(If you have configured the password, you need to input the password as well.)
- Ⅴ. The APP will disconnect and reboot the device if the configuration is uploaded successfully.
- Note: We recommend you set static IP for the device.
Communicating is divided into two modes: Command mode and the data mode. Command mode is used for sending commands. data Mode is used for sending image data to e-Paper.
0x57+4Byte addr+ 4Byte len +1Byte num + len Byte data +Verify
'$'+Data+'#' The format of response of Command and Data are the same
Note:The Verity is the XOR result of data which is marked in red
|'C'||Check if the device is locked||Parity bit + Flag bit 0 or 1, 0: unclocked, 1: locked.|
|‘N' + Device password||Unclocked the device||Parity bit + Flag bit 0 or 1, 0: failed to lock; 1: lock the device successffully.|
|'G'||Get the ID of device||ID|
|'r' + Sleep time (<9999)||Set the device to sleep mode||Parity bit|
PS: The sleep command is only available in 2.13inch e-Paper Cloud Module.
- These commands can be used if the device is locked.
|'0' + name||Modify the ID||Parity bit|
|'1' + IP address||Modify the IP address of Host||Parity bit|
|‘2’+SSID||Modify the WIFI SSID||Parity bit|
|‘3’+password||Modify the WIFI password||Parity bit|
|‘P’+userpassword||Modify the device password||Parity bit|
|'L' +'0' / 'L' + '1'||Set the device lock; 1 to lock and 0 to unlock||Parity bit|
|'s' + '0' /'s' + '1'||Set the flag bit, 0 to disable and 1 to enable||Parity bit|
|'F'||Enter data mode||Parity bit|
|'B'||Open Bluetooth||Parity bit|
|'b'||Check the current voltage of battery||Parity bit + voltage of battery (mv)|
- These commands can be used when the device is unlocked.
- 0x57+4Byte addr+ 4Byte len +1Byte num + len Byte data +Verify
|addr||4byte||Address if data|
|len||4byte||Length os data|
|num||1byte||The frame number of current sector|
|data||len byte||The data transmitted|
- Recommend you to transmit the frames with same lenght
- The size of frame transmitted should not larger than 1100Byte, otherwise it cose data lose.
- num should be static variable because it may be invalid because of version update.
- The data frame doesn't have a stop bit, you need to wait for the verity data before sending the next frame, otherwise, it causes failure.
- The e-Paper will update automatically and exit from update mode when the addr and len are 0.
For mare detailes, please refer to the python3 examples provided.
Using Guides for RPI
#python3 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install python3-pip sudo apt-get install python3-pil sudo apt-get install python3-tqdm sudo apt-get install python3-numpy sudo apt-get install python3-progressbar
Download the demo codes
Open a terminal and runthe following commands：
sudo apt-get install p7zip-full sudo wget https://www.waveshare.com/w/upload/2/2e/Cloud_RPI.7z 7z x Cloud_RPI.7z cd Cloud_RPI
- The demo codes can only support python3.
- Please go to the directory of Cloud_RPI and run the command:
#This code is used to climb the picture of the Waveshare website and transmit the image data to the slave device. sudo python3 ./examples/display_WS.py #The codes will draw figures and send the image data to the slave device. sudo python3 ./examples/display_EPD.py
Vreate a tcp_server class in tcp_sver.py file. You need to inherits the class and refactor the handle function when using.
Every time the new client connected, it should call the handle function.
Parameter cmd is the command sent
The parameter data is message transmitte (inlcuded addree and lenghta nd so on) data.
w: The width of image; h: The height of image.
Take bicolor e-Paper as example, 1 bit stands of one pixel, then you we gets
|Len of data=Width of image(w)*Height of image(h)/8|
DATA; The image data. the image data can be get by the getbuffer function.
|Paramter||Send times||Lenght of every frame（len）||Content||DATA(Image data)||Total lenght of image data/lenght of singal frame（len）||1024 Byte（Configurable）||0x57+4 Byte addr+ 4 Byte len +1 Byte num + len Byte data+Parity|
The lenght of singal transmittion should less than 1100 Byte, or it will cause data loss.
Check voltage of battery
- Get the current voltage
Power Off Function
- Power off or low power state
- Download picture
This function is used to download the picture from Url and save it to the current directory with Name
- Convert the picture to image data.
def getbuffer(self, image):
Convert image information to queue
def getbuffer(self, image):
This guide is made in Windows 10
- Please make sure that you have installed python3 on your Windows PC and the default version is python3 if you installed multiple versions.
- You may need to close the firewall to make the python work.
Open a CMD or Powershell to install libraries with the following commands:
#python3 python -m pip install tqdm python -m pip install pillow python -m pip install numpy python -m pip install pypiwin32 python -m pip install progressbar
Download demo codes
Download the Windows demo, unzip, and enter the Cloud_WIN directory.
Note that you need to run the CMD or PowerShell under the Cloud_WIN direcoty and turn the following command.
#If you have 4.2inch e-Paper Cloud Module python ./examples/4.2inch_display_EPD #If you have2.13inch e-Paper Cloud Module python ./examples/2.13inch_display_EPD
Raspberry Pi Examples
【Storage conditions】: Temperature range: below 30°C; Humidity range: below 55%RH; Maximum storage time: 6 months